Thursday, September 23, 2010

The boys....

Yesterday we had a lengthy phone conversation with Edwin's teacher about well, him just being Edwin. She has had an issue this week with his helper not showing up and Edwin is not handling that very well at all. She loves Edwin and feels honored to have him as her first Autistic student....but I believe at times she is ready to pull out her hair! In computer lab yesterday instead of doing his own work he went around and told all of his other classmates their answers. He refuses to do English or handwriting, yet loves spelling. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Edwin has a best friend for the first time ever...and that is a big step for him...exciting. Edwin has the uncanny talent of making things interesting, I will give him that much.

Tobey decided yet again last night that sleep is overrated, I am exhausted. I don't know why he hates sleep so much....I love it and miss it daily. I am a patient person, especially with Tobey....but the little dude needs to sleep already! Here's hoping for tonight!

You would think that with 2 sons with Autism, that I would know more about Autism....surprisingly I find out new things everyday. It is such a mysterious thing still, even to me. I have yet to figure out why Edwin and Tobey do half the things they do. Like why does Tobey love playing in water, yet can't stand having his face wet. And why does Edwin, who is probably the loudest member of the house...insist on everyone else being quiet? And the biggest mystery for me is...is that their personality or is it Autism? It is so hard to distinguish between the two anymore...

I am now checking into sign language for Tobey and Social stories for Edwin. Since everyone knows what sign language is...I will explain what social stories are. Social stories are short books made for Autistics to train them on how to become more normal and fit in society better. Because they are written in third person, the Autistic mind has a better chance on remembering it and hopefully learning something.

I think they are great, and will probably be a huge benefit to Edwin...But being a parent who just wants her children to be themselves and to embrace their own uniqueness...it is hard to force your child to try and become average. Edwin has an amazing mind, that is beyond me...yet, he wouldn't think twice about running outside in a pink shirt....how do you lose one without the other? Ahhhh Autism....you confuse me.

Well, that is all of my random thoughts for the day from a tired mother of 7, have a good first day of Fall!

1 comment:

  1. The boys are just well, the boys. No matter what they will be the boys. They are funny and smart and unique. Just like everyone else in the family. Gotta love them.

    ReplyDelete