Thursday, March 11, 2010

Our Diamond in the rough.....

We had an amazing cat named Diamond. When we lived on Milton Street these people moved in with this Siamese cat named Diamond. Well I knew then that this was a tough cat then because she killed 3 raccoons within 2 weeks of moving there. I liked her already because I don't care for the raccoons. I don't get jealous much but I secretly wanted this cat. And then they moved, and left everything they owned ( I think there was legal trouble) and left this cat with 3 kittens locked up in the house. I called the landlord and after finally getting permission I broke into the house. Diamond had managed to keep herself and the kittens alive. She didn't want to come in our house though I think in fear of getting locked in. And 7 kids!

We finally convinced her we were ok, and 2 weeks later we had the house fire. We were not home and when we arrived the first thing the firemen said was your cat kept going in the house and brought out everyone of those kittens. She had burns all over her face and had lost her whiskers, but there she was cleaning her kittens, whom all came out unscathed.

And then last Sunday, she got hit. I prayed and prayed but when we got her to the vet, even though her jaw could have been fixed and she could have lived without an eye, we could not fix the damage to her brain. And she would have had no quality of life and take more care then I have time to give. So I made the decision to let her go. It was so hard because she was only 4 years old and had such a tough life already, after all that just to have her put down doesn't set right with me. But I hope the right choice. I have never had to do that before, what a responsibility to hold a living things future in your hands like that. A life or death decision that they want you to make in 10 minutes.

So, in my life I try to make the best out of every situation and learn everything I can from it. And this is what I learned from a cat... don't give up, being a good mother takes a lot of sacrifice and never pass up a moment to hug your kid or pet your pets because it can be gone so quickly.

Well my next post will be happier, hopefully I will be happier too! Have a blessed day.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry about Diamond. She was one strong willed cat, and a great Mom, just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad. I hope we never have to make that decision for Caleb's cat. Although he doesn't seem to like us, but I worry cause he is always in the road! BTW, we finally talked Sam into a puppy and we are getting one soon!! Maybe you should get on the bandwagon! Cats are easier though.... :)

    ReplyDelete