Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holstein update....

So, here it is, one of those boring days in between Christmas and New Years....The kids are getting bored already and I will probably send them outside to play in the yard. Except for the three youngest which have all got fevers and runny noses.

Our new neighbors came over yesterday, very nice couple. They came with cupcakes, night and day difference from our old neighbors who kept trying to have us impounded. Anyway, they are retired and actually complimented us on having a quiet household. I think their hearing may not be so great, maybe a blessing.

The house is coming along nicely, Eddie got some things actually hanging on the wall and the kids are giving me all sorts of ideas on how they want their rooms. We even have our first stray who hangs around and I am thinking of trying to start a new friendship with a squirrel that hangs out on our patio, or I as I refer to it....the lanai (Golden Girls).

So this Friday is New Years Eve....usually we have a junk food fest with the kids and play games, and enjoy my Nephews company. I am not big into going out because I am terrified of the drivers out there, and who else other than my family would I want to spend time with on a holiday. I am not usually in to making huge plans because my side of the family has had some unfortunate events around this time of year. First off my Mom's birthday is on New Years, so my Dad doesn't believe in having parties on those days. But one year 1995, he was talked into it.

Here is the story. Eddie had stayed the night at my Dad's (no, we were not married...whoops). Anyway I had stayed up on the 30th to help Dad's girlfriend plan a New Years Eve party because she thought the whole lack of celebrating was insane. Anyway we cooked, called people and bought...the beverages. So, since the 31st was on a Sunday, Dad's girlfriend Sandy got up to get ready for Church. I guess it was about 20 minutes later that I heard my Dad screaming (rare occurrence) and I will never forget hearing him say "I think Sandy's dead in the bathroom!". I was in shock...Eddie called 911, and I started CPR. I knew though I was only doing it to help calm my Dad down, I spent a few years working in a Nursing Home. There was no chance of her coming back. So, instead of going to Church and having a party we spent the day at a hospital with her kids, consoling them. We gave Lena Sandy's middle name, and that is why she is named Lena Elaine after my Mom and my Dad's girlfriend. She was quite the woman. Lena should be proud to have her name.

This year though I have a dear friend staying with us for New Years, along with 3 of her kids. She had something devastating happen to her on Christmas and she needs to have some fun. I may have to actually put up some balloons and streamers and have a more "normal" party. I will probably just not tell my side of the family. I do think that it is going to be pure chaos and fun having 11 kids here...I wonder if the neighbors will still think we are quiet?

So, that is all today....talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment