Monday, February 7, 2011

Whoa, didn't think that would happen....

So, after my first full weekend on the job...I still love it. Because of privacy acts I can't say much but one of the guys reminds me of Tobey and the other one reminds me of a big teddy bear. They are already feeling like family to me, and I can't wait to see them on Friday.

But, after seeing how they live I have had to do a lot of soul searching about the boys. Tobey will obviously need 24 hour care and Edwin will need some assistance and Eddie and I assumed that we would just have them live with us. This was a no-brainer and set in stone. Now? I am not so sure if that is what is right for them.

We have all seen those people that are from group homes and they are living in sweats and haven't been shaved. There are people starring at them in the mall as they are being shuffled from store to store. I knew that there was no way in heck that my sons were going to end up like that...it would kill me. I have heard the horror stories of special needs adults being hurt or even worse and it breaks my heart.

But, the people I work for that is simply not the case and these adults are treated with love and respect, and able to have their own lives and jobs. I want Tobey and Edwin to find their own lives and not just be limited to what I think their lives should be. So, I started the paperwork today to see about putting them in this program...there is a long wait for funding. In fact if you applied in 1997, they are now getting you the money you need for these kind of programs!!!! That is just insane!

So, today we took Emily, Melody and Lucy Sky to Petsmart today. I promised to take the girls over the weekend but the new job took more time than I thought it would. So, anyway to celebrate going to Disney in 52 days we bought 2 Mickey Mouse platys! They actually have the design of Mickey's head and ears on their fins ! Really cute and on sale for $1.49....we also bought one of those tiny frogs, for no real reason. I just wanted one. We named him Kermit. We are supposed to feed him blood worms which are extremely gross and they come in these frozen cubes that you have to thaw out!!!! Yuck!

Well, the kids are going nuts...see you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment