Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Melody Summer and Preschool

Today my sweet Melody went to school. She was excited, confident and looked so tiny with her backpack. I was a little teary walking her in, but when we came to the classroom I was simply an afterthought. When does that happen? You know you were the center of their universe and then.... Bam!! They are in their own life. I am so relieved that I am not the parent who can't get the screaming child off their leg and that my kids are excited to try new things, not scared of them. But a goodbye hug would be nice.

Ironically as I am writing this, Melody is watching Finding Nemo. You remember the one with the overbearing parent who can't let go. I see Finding Nemo in a different light though, I mean it is a small fish with a disability that gets nearly eaten by a shark. I probably wouldn't let Nemo the heck out of my sight. And much like Nemo, Miss Melody is ready for the world...me? Still not ready.

Onto an Edwin story now....Edwin has decided that he is the king of Box Tops for Education. He has become so obsessed (thank you Autism) with them that he is tearing apart my pantry to get them and has even snuck items into the basement so I don't catch him ripping apart a cake mix. He takes these so serious that during family meetings he will explain to us in full detail about how he puts the box tops in the container and how his teacher thanks him. When I go grocery shopping he will only carry in the items that have the box top labels, and leave the rest in the car. So, here for your reading pleasure is the latest conversation concerning these cardboard treasures...

Me- Hey Edwin, I have 4 box tops for you (yelling from the kitchen)
Edwin-Oh thank you Mother!!!! (running down the steps)
Me- Put them in your backpack so that you don't lose them.
Edwin- Mother, you are awesome (as he trims them, because for some reason I lost my rational mind and had simply ripped them from the box in excitement)
Edwin them gave me a hug and yelled "Woo Hoo, I am getting money for my school!"
Me- Breathing a sigh of relief that he has no more desires to blow up the school....because if he ever did? I would have to save a TON more of those stupid box tops!!!

So, if you know Edwin and would like some undying love from him....save your box tops!

Ok, I will talk at you later!

1 comment:

  1. Do you think Edwin could be this enthused about raising money for his church? I'm just sayin' :-)

    ReplyDelete