Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tales of Edwin....

I felt like I haven't done a really good update on Edwin...and I have 2 reasons. One is the dude has been keeping me busy with Dr appointments, therapy and shrinks. But to be honest in my mind, once it is typed out, it is real.

Edwin has been on Risperdole for a little while, in fact he was on it years ago but taken off because of our family history of Diabetes. We then tried out everything from Stratterra to Intuniv with no real results. We then made the decision to simply figure out how to "deal" with the issues. Edwin was only on Focalin (to help focus) and Clonidine (to help sleep) for quite a while...we made it work. Until, the scary stuff started happening with him (trying to kill me, trying to wreck the car) and we then decided we needed to get prescription help for him, to help him out but also to protect the rest of the family.

So, the dude went back on Resperdole but had horrible pain in his joints. I hoped that it was just a side effect and then off to try the next drug...which I was ok with, because it seemed like it wasn't helping too much. A pediatrician can only do so much so she switched him to yet another drug and we made the decision to have him see a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist. Because not only was he not getting better, but things were taking a weird turn as far as mental health.

Ok, now you have the back story...and then the Bee incident happened. Edwin has chores and one of his chores is to take out the trash. Because of his amazing Autistic mind, if you show him how to do something twice he will do it every time...whether he wants to or not. So, he was taking out the trash and I heard him in the mudroom screaming like someone was trying to take him. I immediately sent Melody upstairs and ran too him. And then I saw him crouched in the corner covering up with the trash bag and screaming and crying. I asked him what happened...he then said "That bee was talking to me in two voices!". Folks, that is NOT Autism, that is a whole new can of worms. I felt chills go down my back and I literally sat on the floor, covered my mouth and tried to figure out what the heck I am going to do.

So, we headed back to the Dr, because he is still in pain and now people are talking to him that are NOT there! As far as the Pediatrician goes...she doesn't think the pain is from medication. She now wants him tested for rheumatoid arthritis, after we see what the Psychiatrist checks out what he wants to do.

Today I looked at the boy and told him he is complicated...he told me "Thanks".

As far as Autism goes, I am comfortable with it...I have to be. But as I said before there is not a enough of a warning for it when puberty attacks. It is frustrating for everyone, but I can not imagine how it is for him. I can not imagine what that must be like to see things that are not real, and no way to know the difference. You feel like as their parent you should have the answers, it is not possible. And then when your own child scares you...that is the most conflicting feeling ever. And then it starts making you paranoid to go out, for fear of what can happen. It is hard enough to explain why Tobey is on a leash, explaining why Edwin is getting into a verbal fight with someone who is not there? That is what you call awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment