Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Autism day...

We have these days on occasion and Ed and I call them Autism days, or we simply look at each other and say the 'tism! It is just a day when you wake up positive, and then you go into their rooms to wake them up for school and Ed has this look on his face, and says he can't go to school because of a debilitating illness, today....hiccups!

He has also decided that the pants are fitting him differently than usual, and taking his many medications is simply out of the question. The milk is the wrong temperature and it is WAY to bright in the kitchen. Now this is still doable until the Tobey wakes up and even though non-verbal has this insane sixth sense that this is my chance to raise all heck! He is jumping without and fear off of every surface in the living room, couch, recliner, entertainment center....you get the idea. Now Edwin is screaming at Tobey and the bus is here for three kids, thank you God!

After then settling Tobey down and giving him his meds and dressed he is on the bus, and 3 blissful hours are mine until the Tobey is back home and ready for round 2. Now is my chance to spend time with Emily and Melody, clean house, laundry and make dinner, homemade chicken pot pie. Yes, I am feeling confident, proud and now the Tobey is back. He is still riled up and trying to kill a kitten by hugging it to o tightly, dumped all the salt and pulling on Melody's pigtails. I finally break down and medicate him.

Edwin is now home and very calm, until he sees that Olivia finished her homework first and is on the computer. So after counting with him and watching him turn himself into a F98 (his description) tornado, he announces he is hungry. I throw dinner in the oven, he takes one look at it, sees something green and announces he wants peanut butter and jelly. No longer in the mood to argue I give the boy the sandwich, and accept defeat.

Right now I have Lena watching them in the living room, Edwin is now dressed as Princess Pea from Super Why and Tobey is spinning the wheels on his truck. And they are quiet, now I breathe.

I am not sure why God gave us 2 sons with Autism, did he see something in us as parents that made him think we could handle it? I don't know, but even on days like this that cause my hair to go gray, I thank him that he did. I love those boys more than words can say.

1 comment:

  1. Keep those journals comming, my friend!!! I love to hear your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete